Monday, April 25, 2022

I bought that plane ticket 10 years ago


Hey fam,

I recently shared on Instagram that it's been 10 years since I decided to buy that one-way ticket to Bangkok and commit to taking off to the other side of the world solo.

Here's what I wrote on the caption of that reel: "10 years ago I closed one of the biggest deals my firm had touched and watched as they congratulated my male superior who did 1% of the work, if that, instead of me, who did 99%. I bought the domain for bemytravelmuse and the one way ticket to Bangkok shortly after.

10 years ago I didn't know what I wanted out of life and Instagram barely existed yet, blogs made very little money, and I was leaving a stable and lucrative career, but there had to be more and I realized money didn't make me happy. Freedom did.

It would be 6 months before I started posting regularly and really "started" the blog, but 10 years ago is when I pushed the purchase button on the flight and committed.

There were some very lean years. I only slept in dorms, hitchhiked to keep going, and would write freelance articles for as little as $50 to keep the dream alive. But one thing I knew for sure - I wasn't going back. I wasn't going to watch someone else get credit for what I did ever again, no matter what it took.

I met my love on the road, and we're starting a family, but I'll never forget my first baby - my blog. Social media is fun but the website is where I poured all my passion. Writing is my truest love. Now it gets nearly 500k visits every month and I'm so thankful for it all.

For so much of it I felt like I was too far behind, not good enough, never would be good enough, but somehow I stuck with it anyway. So if anyone needs to hear this - when you think it can't be done, do it anyway. What really makes people succeed is grit ♥️"


Special announcement: We've got spaces on our final BMTM Adventures women's tour of 2022, swimming with Humpback whales in French Polynesia! I will not personally be on this trip as I'll have a newborn, but you'll be with an amazing group of fellow female adventurers! Learn more and apply here. ​


There were so many comments on there from others who are on this journey of self discovery. If you're finding yourself in a similar place, check it out here. You're not alone.

Wishing you a wonderful week ahead!

Hugs,

Kristin